Summer Term & Dates for the Diary
We hope you all had a restful Easter break and would like to welcome you back for another busy term. Can we remind you that all children should be wearing their Summer uniform this term.
Swimming will continue on a Tuesday for all children from Year 1 to Year 6 and for the children in Kindergarten on a Thursday. Yoga will as always be on Wednesday afternoons and Dance as usual on a Friday. Swimming is part of the Curriculum and should be treated as any other lesson. We politely discourage spectators. We are happy however for you to come and watch the progress your child has made at the last session each term.
The cost for the extras this term for the children from Transition up will be £95, which includes coach travel, a big thank you again to Carol Peters, for the full time children in Kindergarten the cost will be £85. P. E Kit must be worn to school on swimming days and brought to school on both Wednesday and Friday.
The out of hours mobile number you have for school has now changed. The new number is 07949 410297 and will be live from today. I’m sure it has been unintentional, but a handful of parents have taken advantage of the out of hours service. It is not unheard of for me to have texts from 6 am, which I’m sure you would agree is not part of the working day for a school. Child Protection guidelines require us to have our mobile phones locked away during the school day so I must ask that all school matters are telephoned in to the office rather than sent by text. School absence MUST be reported by a telephone call, not a text or it will be classed as unauthorised and by 10 am, please.
Dates for the Diary
- Monday 7th May – Bank Holiday Monday – School closed.
- Monday 14th May -Thursday 17th May – SATS WEEK
- Friday 18th May – Monday 21st May – Mrs Calcutt and I will be accompanying years 3-6 on a residential trip to the Kingswood Centre in Ashford. We have been running residential trips for 18 years and great fun is always had by all.
- Friday 25th May – School Photographs. Please make sure your child is in Summer uniform this day, striped dresses for girls and grey shorts for boys. Long or short white socks for the girls and grey socks for the boys please. Can I also ask that long sleeved tops are not worn under uniform. If you have more than one child please can you let me know if you would like individual photographs of each of your children and a photograph of your children together, just individuals or just your children together. Children are photographed without cardigans or jumpers, if you have any special requirements such as photographs in blazers and hats please let me know.
The half term holiday is one week commencing Monday 28th May – Friday 1st June.
May I politely remind parents that holidays should not be taken during the school term.
- Wednesday 13th June – New Intake Morning. Chartfield gives a warm welcome to our new starters for next year.
- Thursday 14th June – Cupcake Day for Alzheimer’s Society.
- Monday 18th June – Exam week.
- Friday 29th June – Sports Day. Sports Day is held on the field opposite school and starts at 9.30 am, all are welcome. School finishes after Sports Day at approximately 12 noon. The PTFA will be selling bacon or sausages rolls in the interval just to make sure you have enough energy for the dreaded Mums and Dads races! Chartfield has a House system for such events as Sports Day, the four houses are Bevan, Cooke, Bayley and Ballard, named after the first four owners of the school. Each house is a different colour and we like to encourage as much friendly rivalry as possible. Our Sports Day is a Traditional Sports Day with races such as ‘Egg and Spoon’ and ‘Sack Race’ the winner of each race will win points for their house. A house list will be put up on the notice board so you can see which house your child is in, a member of staff is assigned to each house and an older child is House Captain, please support your child’s house.
- Thursday 5th July – Transition Day. On this day our year 6 leavers will be visiting their new schools, as much as this is a daunting time it is also a time of great excitement and great
promise. Good luck to our four.
- Sunday 8th July – Summer Fair. This event will be held at school from 12 noon- 2pm, please join us for an enjoyable couple of hours and help support your school. Come and have a go at the Tombola; try your luck with The Lucky Dip, buy a cake, or take a turn on our many stalls. If you’re feeling brave enough you could take on the banker in Deal or no Deal, if you’re feeling exceptionally brave you could even Soak The Teacher!
- Tuesday 10th July – Dress Rehearsal at Birchington Village Centre, more details to follow nearer the time.
- Wednesday 11th July – Speech Day at Birchington Village Centre. This is our annual Prize Giving afternoon. The afternoon is a celebration of the academic year and gives us chance to recognise the children’s many achievements. We politely ask that younger children that are not at Chartfield do not attend. A lot of hard work goes into the afternoon and younger children can be disruptive and this is unfair on all our children that have worked so hard. Further details to follow nearer the time.
- Friday 13th July is the last day of term, school finishes at normal time. There are no clubs after Monday 9th July, except breakfast club.
- Holiday club will start on Monday 16th July for one or two weeks depending on interest
and is open to all children.
Each class will have their own trip, details of which will be sent out closer to the time. As always, if you have any queries regarding anything at anytime please do not hesitate to contact me.